Peace Design Table # 16 The role of Higher Education Institutions in Sustainable Development
IAYSP-Angola organized Peace Design Table # 16 The role of Higher Education Institutions in Sustainable Development on December 13, 2020.
Ambassador Katia Gabriel and the 10 Peace Makers led by her on December 13th , held their Peace Dialogue Table, reflecting on the theme The role of Higher Education Institutions in Sustainable Development (SDG 1, 10 and 13).
- Understand the role and contribution of HEIs in sustainable development;
- Identify what actions can be promoted in HEIs to boost sustainable development in Angola.
Identified problem: Angola does not meet any of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals, it is in position 149 and below the African average (source: “O País” newspaper).
The role of HEIs in Sustainable Development – University
- Teaching (replicating and socializing knowledge about the SDGs);
- Scientific research (creating new knowledge that aims to achieve sustainable development);
- University extension (disseminating and using the knowledge of HEIs to society).
Final considerations: Higher education institutions must be recognized for their search and sustainable development and put into practice the knowledge transmitted in the classroom about sustainability as a way of serving as an example for students and the society in which they are inserted.
Note: there was an exception made on the 13th, December